Sprouted

Sprouted

Baby showers

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Okay - I'm a party pooper.
Or worse yet - I'm a stick in the mud/no fun kind of person - and I'm about to embark on parenthood.

For some reason, I am not all that fired up to have a baby shower for Sprout. I don't know what it is. Some kind of paranoia (don't want to count the chicken before it hatches)? Whatever the reason, I've been asked and have declined each time, as to whether or not I want a baby shower.

Does that make me weird? I guess I don't really care if the answer is "yes". It won't really change my mind.

I'd like to think that I'm just being overly practical... after all - I don't REALLY know how much or what kind of stuff I will *really* need for Sprout. I have friends who share all kinds of different stories. "My kids love their bouncy chairs", "My daughter never used a pacifier", "We ended up never using the changing table", "The best thing EVER is a wipes warmer".

No wonder the local Babies R Us store is as big as a the local Costco. Holy shmoly - how much crap do we need to have this kid??

And then I transform into the crotchety old person that we all dread becoming. "IN MY DAY - I grew up with a cardboard box for a toy and boy - that was the best toy ever!" Does Sprout need Baby Einstein CD's? Will he/she end up in remedial math because I didn't get any? And then I swing a full 180 degrees and wonder if I will be a terrible parent because I've started the cycle of "deprivation is good for you" mentality that my parents stuck on me.

*sigh*

It's not just about baby showers I guess. I guess it's about what I want for my newest family member. And whether or not I'll figure out what works and doesn't before things get out of control. Maybe I'm just being naive and think that so long as Chris and I have lots of time and love with the baby - all the other stuff will fall into place.

One can hope there's still a place for that naivete. If there isn't, then that's probably what I'd like to register for first....

1 comment:

Dani said...

eff 'em. and i mean that in the nicest way possible.

seriously though, before all the hate mail begins to pour in ... this is *your* pregnancy (technically your-plural) and your Sprout and if you don't want heaps of stuff and showers then don't have them. those of us who want to dote/ensure that Sprout will be supplied with her requisite first black hoodie will still manage such tasks. it ain't your job to take care of our needs. it's not like you don't have enough on your plate at the moment. get back to incubating, wouldya?

Post a Comment