Sprouted

Sprouted

I gave birth to a human vaccuum

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I love my kid, really I do.

But boy - can she eat. I mean - EAT. I have watched her father feed her and I have been in awe. Here is a list of the stuff she'll mow through at the ripe old age of 8 1/2 months....

Baked sweet potato
String beans
Yogurt
Cheese
Noodles
Hamburger
Meatballs
Avocados
Bananas
Any thing that comes from a baby food jar
Rice
Small pieces of pork chop
Bread

Something tells me she will be waving around a chicken leg before she's 1 hollering at me to get her another one.

All kidding aside - today Chris and I cut back on the solids as I realized that she wasn't really taking much milk/formula. I think we've stuffed her (literally) with all the "normal" food. Not that she's wasting away or anything - it just bothered me a bit that she was struggling to take a full 6 oz bottle. She used to vaporize those in a blink of an eye.

So - we're taking a small step back and hitting the re-set button on the whole food/diet/oh-my-god-did-she-really-eat-that-whole-thing? portion of child-rearing.  We have our 9 month appointment soon enough that we'll ask the pediatrician whether or not we should be concerned if she isn't taking a ton of formula/milk anymore.

It's one of the things I hate about these books that are supposed to help new parents. I suppose they are somewhat helpful, but I swear to god - every other page is filled with entries like:

"By 8 months your baby should be able to - crawl, babble, transfer an object from one hand to the other, follow your voice and look for dropped toys. But every baby is different." 

You know - that's not super helpful. What does "every baby is different" REALLY mean? Does that mean if she can babble, transfer an object and follow my voice but NOT crawl - I should be concerned? Whatever. I digress - that could be a topic all on its own. I brought it up because the book says to be careful with solids as breast milk/formula is still the primary source of nutrition for the first 12 months. (But what if my baby is "different"?)

In the meantime, I'll post any new foods we try out on her - I was >THIS< close to smuggling some Spam home to see if she'd be game. As if I really need to wonder....

1 comment:

Lisa is Bossy said...

I LOVE your writing Kathy. I truly love it. If you keep this up you could totally write a "new parenting" book. The type that isn't to tell parents what to do - but to give them humor while they figure it all out!

Post a Comment